Horror Story: Woman's Infection Caused by Bees Living in Her Eye

Horror Story: Woman's Infection Caused by Bees Living in Her Eye

Horror Story: Woman's Infection Caused by Bees Living in Her Eye

Dr. Hung Chi-ting, head of Fooyin University Hospital's ophthalmology department, said in a press conference on April 4 that when he examined He, he "saw something that looked like insect legs" in her eye.

She was visiting the grave as part of the annual Chinese Qing Ming tomb-sweeping festival, which is traditionally observed by sprucing up loved ones' graves.

That's what a 29-year-old Taiwanese woman experienced last week after she began suffering from severe eye pain and found four bees under her eyelid feeding on her tear ducts, according to local outlet CTS News. She went to the hospital three hours after the incident in agony. He managed to pull them out one by one without damaging their bodies, reported The Guardian. "They were still intact and all alive", he said. Assuming it was dirt, she washed her eye out with water. She is expected to make a full recovery post bee removal.

A doctor found four bees living inside a woman's eye in Taiwan.

The insects, identified as sweat bees, don't usually attack people but are attracted to human perspiration.

A sweat bee gathers pollen from a flower in Davis, California in this 2010 photo.


He's eyesight had been reduced to under 0.1, the equivalent of 20-200 vision on the Snellen eye chart measuring visual acuity, Hung told reporters.

The bees are not normally aggressive and only sting if touched, but once the stinger pierces the skin, it will continue to pump out venom until it is removed.

Doctors also say if the woman delayed in seeking medical care, the woman might have to lose her eye.

Each bee was extracted alive and was sent to another organization to be studied.

Dr Hung said that the bees commonly nest in the mountains and close to graves, which is how they had come into contact with He.

"This is the first time in Taiwan we've seen something like this", he added.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]