United States service members killed after Syrian explosion

United States service members killed after Syrian explosion

United States service members killed after Syrian explosion

An explosion damaged a restaurant in Manbij, Syria, Wednesday, shown in a screengrab from the Kurdish Hawar News agency, or ANHA.

The death toll in an attack on US and coalition troops in the northern Syrian town of Manbij is rising, with the bombing raising questions about what happens once USA forces pull out for good. Confirmation of affected American troops while "conduct [ing] a routine patrol" followed footage of a helicopter hovering over the alleged blast site.

An Islamic State-claimed suicide attack targeting US-led coalition forces in the flashpoint northern Syrian city of Manbij killed at least 15 people including four USA serviceman on Wednesday.

An apparent suicide bombing hit the Kurdish-controlled northern Syrian city of Manbij during a "routine" US-led coalition patrol, killing several USA troops and civilians.

The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least eight people were killed. It is likely the deadliest attack on US forces since they were inserted in 2015 under President Barack Obama to roll back ISIS forces. Commanders told him the USA had been successful in taking back other areas but that the job was not finished.

The White House said in a statement Wednesday that Trump has been "fully briefed" on the Manbij attack and that officials would continue to monitor the situation. "Russia, Iran and Syria have been the biggest beneficiaries of the long term US policy of destroying ISIS in Syria - natural enemies".

Last month, Mr Trump made the surprise announcement that he would withdraw all 2,000 United States troops from Syria, concluding that IS had been defeated.


American troops were killed in an explosion in northern Syria, the spokesperson for the US -led coalition against the Islamic State says.

However, last month US President Donald Trump announced the surprise decision to withdraw American troops from Syria, at once claiming that the battle againt IS had been won and Turkey would defeat the militant group's remnants.

Independent reports by Reuters and others say four Americans were killed, though the precise figure hasn't been confirmed. Three U.S. soldiers were wounded in addition to the four killed, Reuters reported.

The attack comes as the US has begun the process of withdrawing its troops from the country, which President Donald Trump ordered last month, surprising USA officials and allies and prompting Defense Secretary Jim Mattis to resign.

"An explosion in Manbij's busy market street, initial reports of casualties", Sharvan Darwish, the official spokesperson of the Manbij Military Council (MMC) tweeted.

"The caliphate has crumbled and ISIS has been defeated", Pence said, without referencing the attack.

American Special Operations forces inside Syria coordinate daily with local opposition fighters called the Syrian Democratic Forces, an alliance of mostly Kurdish and Arab fighters.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]