Iran FM accuses ‘foreign-backed terrorists’ of Chabahar attack

Iran FM accuses ‘foreign-backed terrorists’ of Chabahar attack

Iran FM accuses ‘foreign-backed terrorists’ of Chabahar attack

In 2010, two suicide bombers killed at least 28 people, including some of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards, at a mosque in southeast Iran, an attack Iranian leaders said was backed by the United States.

Videos posted on Twitter, purportedly from Chabahar, showed thick smoke rising from the area.

Meanwhile, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif claimed that those behind the attack were backed by foreign countries and would be brought to justice.

"This was a blind terrorist attack", Pakpur told the semiofficial Tasnim news agency.

Ansar al-Furqan is known to operate in Iran's southeastern Sistan and Baluchistan Province, which sees occasional attacks by Baluch separatists and drug traffickers.

The top Iranian diplomat took to his Twitter page on Thursday to react to the auto bomb attack, which he said was perpetrated by "foreign-backed terrorists". Head of Chabahar healthcare center also said a pregnant woman and a 16-year-old teenager are among the injured.

No militant group immediately claimed responsibility. A year ago, the group claimed to have blown up an oil pipeline in Iran's southern Khuzestan province.


State authorities did not identify who was behind the attack.

"As we've made clear in the past, such crimes won't go unpunished: In 2010, our security services intercepted & captured extremists en route from UAE", Zarif said in what appeared to be a reference to the 2010 capture of Sunni insurgent leader Abdolmalek Rigi.

It hosts the operation of a joint port project between Iran and India.

The Indian foreign ministry strongly condemned the "despicable terrorist attack".

Chabahar city is around 100 km from Iran's border with Pakistan. He said no group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far, adding that the various aspects of the attack would soon come to light after thorough investigation is concluded.

Chabahar is also the site of a port complex, which is being developed in cooperation with India as part of a new transportation corridor for landlocked Afghanistan. "There can be no justification for any act of terror", an MEA statement said.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]