Dolce and Gabbana apologises for race row

Dolce and Gabbana apologises for race row

Dolce and Gabbana apologises for race row

Various Chinese e-commerce platforms, which are major distribution channels for D&G, reacted by removing the brand's products and recommendation and reviews about them.

Dolce&Gabbana goods disappeared Thursday from Chinese e-commerce sites as the fallout grew over remarks insulting to China that were apparently made by two of its Instagram accounts. The boycott spread to foreign sites, with Richemont's Yoox Net-A-Porter removing the brand's items from its Chinese and Hong Kong portals.

A duty-free shop at the Haikou Meilan airport on China's Hainan island posted a photo of empty shelves on its social media account, saying that it had pulled all Dolce&Gabbana products.

TOP Italian Fashion House Dolce & Gabbana was forced to cancel a planned show after a race row involving its lead designer.

D&G responded to the incident via its Weibo account saying that Gabbana's Instagram account had been hacked and posting an image with the words "NOT ME" written across the screenshots of the exchange. Chinese A-list celebrities invited to the show, including Zhang Ziyi, Chen Kun, Li Bingbing and Wang Junkai, had all withdrawn from the event before D&G had even announced the cancelation.

But the backlash continued as retailers in China retreated from the brand.

The controversy began earlier this month when the fashion brand posted a series of videos to its official page on Weibo, a Chinese version of Twitter.


"We want to say sorry to all Chinese across the world, of which there are many, and we are taking this apology and message very seriously", Gabbana added. The account wrote, "it attempts to target China, but instead mocks them with a parodied version of what modern China is not ... a gag for amusement".

Other upsets have come and gone in China without appearing to cause lasting damage, including at brands like Kering's Balenciaga, which apologized in April amid a backlash over how some Chinese customers had been treated in Paris.

Aside from the controversy, D&G's Chinese joint venture in Shanghai was punished and fined more than 400,000 yuan (US$57,650) in total by the local government twice between 2016 and 2017, as it sold fake, inferior-quality and unqualified products.

In a statement from Milan headquarters, designers Gabbana and Domenico Dolce said, "What happened today was very unfortunate not only for us, but also for all the people who worked day and night to bring this event to life".

ALSO READ: Is Dolce & Gabbana actually booting out co-founder Stefano? . Social media users called it out for being racist and patronising.

"It's not convincing enough to shift the blame to hacking", said a public relations specialist who requested anonymity.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang expressed hope that the scandal would not become "diplomatic", while the Communist Party Youth League urged foreign companies working in China to respect the country's culture and its people.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]