Harry and Meghan prepare to farewell Aust

Harry and Meghan prepare to farewell Aust

Harry and Meghan prepare to farewell Aust

The residence where the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are staying on the New Zealand leg of their royal tour has been evacuated after the fire alarm was set off.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's first official overseas tour has been filled with state dinners, walkabouts, and some truly stunning fashion.

It was certainly the most famous person he had met, she said.

The evening got off to a false start after the building had to be evacuated just moments before Meghan and Harry were due to be officially welcomed.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were given a traditional Maori greeting as they arrived in New Zealand - rubbing noses with Maori elders as they received a hongi. Asked what sports they played, the kids listed them off: cricket, rugby, hockey, netball, basketball.

Thousands of royal fans had turned out to greet the couple on their jam-packed visits to Sydney, Melbourne and the regional town of Dubbo.

With Meghan holding an umbrella over his head to shield him from a sudden downpour of much-needed rain, Harry urged locals gathered in a local park not to "silently suffer" at a time when so many people were doing it tough. Speaking ahead of the exhibition, on the ITV programme "Queen of the World", the Duchess said she hoped that visitors from around the world would be able to find their flower when they visited the exhibition.

Minnie Newman, an 11-year-old from Kelburn Girl Guides, said she was impressed with Meghan.

Alexandra, an aspiring designer, said: "I said, "It's really nice to meet you", and then we gave her the brooch".

Harry and Meghan are now visiting New Zealand and today met with the Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern at Government House in Wellington.

Next, the royals will be laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior before visiting the newly-unveiled UK War Memorial at the Pukeahu National War Memorial Park.

The couple had returned to Sydney from Tonga for the closing hours of the event, which was founded by Prince Harry for wounded military personnel to compete in sport.

Mr Roberts said afterwards: "Almost three years to the day I was here to meet Prince Charles with my week-old baby who is nearly three now".

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]