South Korea scrambles fighter jets after Chinese plane trespasses airspace

South Korea scrambles fighter jets after Chinese plane trespasses airspace

South Korea scrambles fighter jets after Chinese plane trespasses airspace

USA intelligence and defense officials have repeatedly expressed doubts about North Korea's willingness to give up its nuclear weapons and they had not expected Pompeo's trip to yield positive results.

In a White House statement sent through a series of tweets yesterday, Mr Trump said he felt that Kim Jong-un's regime was "under tremendous pressure from China because of our major trade disputes with the Chinese Government".

"This is not helpful!" he said.

President Donald Trump said that there's no reason to spend a lot of money on military wargames with South Korea, but he warned he could "instantly" relaunch the exercises again and they would be "far bigger than ever before".

The paper also claimed that the USS Michigan, a nuclear Navy submarine, transported Green Berets and other special forces from Okinawa, Japan, to the Jinhae naval base in South Korea in late July or early August.

It came a day after Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said the Pentagon was not planning to suspend any more military drills, before appearing to backtrack on Wednesday by insisting "no decisions" had been made on the matter. "China makes it much more hard in terms of our relationship with North Korea".

'China makes it much more hard in terms of our relationship with North Korea, ' Trump said at the White House on Wednesday, though he insisted his ties with Chinese President Xi Jinping were 'great'.

The move was broadly criticised as a premature concession to North Korea, which has resisted U.S. efforts to persuade it to give up its nuclear weapons. Trump abruptly canceled his top diplomat's planned trip to North Korea on Friday, publicly acknowledging for the first time that his effort to get Pyongyang to denuclearize had stalled since his summit with the North's leader. Trump tweeted at the time.


As a result, the U.S. last week shelved a planned trip to Pyongyang by secretary of state Mike Pompeo, citing lack of progress on denuclearisation, but remaining open to future talks.

The month-long exercises then kicked off in April and were expected to include 12,000 USA troops and almost 300,000 South Korean forces. It has also suspended nuclear tests and test-missile firings.

"What it means in practical terms is that we're making no changes to the exercise program at this time", Mattis said.

In a news conference that capped the historic meeting with Kim, he noted past USA diplomatic failures with North Korea, saying, "Honestly, I think he's going to do these things". "China probably has a great influence over North Korea".

Mattis said the decision regarding whether massive exercises such as Freedom Guardian take place next year is still in review with the State Department.

"If we say the denuclearization process is in a deadlock, that will only be another reason to hold a South-North summit", a South Korean presidential official said, according to Yonhap news agency. "We can't restart them on a dime".

"There are subjects and fields that aren't impacted by sanctions", said Kim Yong Il, North Korea's chief delegate at UNESCO in Paris, according to a previously unreported transcript of his remarks.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]