Thai cave rescue: four boys rescued while others remain trapped

Thai cave rescue: four boys rescued while others remain trapped

Thai cave rescue: four boys rescued while others remain trapped

Between four to six boys have been rescued in the first phase of the operation to free the trapped soccer team, Thai officials told reporters. "Divers are expected to re-enter the caves in between ten and twenty hours" time because there were not enough air tanks along the route to continue, an official said.

For now, the rescue operation is scheduled to resume on Monday, although it remains uncertain whether or not that will be possible.

With authorities releasing few details of the rescue bid, parents continued their agonising wait to be reunited with their sons. Nine people remained trapped in the cave, including the team's coach, as of Monday morning. The fellow classmates and teachers from the same school have described to the press the preparations they have made for the boys. We will have to do the next mission as successfully as the one we did today.

"If we wait and the rain comes in the next few days we will be exhausted again from pumping and our readiness would drop".

During a brief break in the weather, rescuers were able to pump some of the excess water out of the Tham Luang cave in the Chiang Rai province and rescue at least four boys, who had been trapped in there for over two weeks.

Osatanakorn said efforts to remove floodwater and divert water flows have been "very successful", but seasonal monsoon rains forecast to hit the region this weekend and throughout next week.

"We are giving them a physical examination".

"It is important to appreciate that the United Kingdom cave divers continue to work alongside the Thai Navy SEAL divers and a combination of cave divers and open water divers from many other nations", the statement said. All four were rushed to a hospital 65km away in Chiang Rai. At the hospital, the team is being checked for airborne lung infections and bacterial infections that they could have developed after being in a damp cave environment for an extended period of time.

The football team became trapped in the cave on June 23 and were later found in a small chamber of the flooded Tham Luang cave complex.

It is anticipated the remaining rescues will take three or four days to complete.

After the ambulance was seen leaving the complex at around 5 p.m. Monday, a helicopter took off. Authorities have said helicopters were ready to take cave evacuees to a hospital.

Elon Musk has offered to help rescue the Junior soccer team stuck in a cave in Thailand. The rescue operation began shortly after they went missing but it took teams days to find the group.

It had been assumed that the four extracted yesterday were boys, but it emerged that the fourth person taken out was the coach, Mr Ekapol.

Rescue crews found them deep inside the cave on July 2.

The death Friday of a former Thai navy SEAL underscored the risks.

Experienced divers have revealed that getting to and from the boys is an 11-hour round trip ordeal that encompasses walking, climbing and diving in total darkness.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]